Wednesday 5 June 2013

First Origin match to-night: Queensland to win: Jack Gallaway's history: it's a case of "I am woman hear me roar"


State of Origin (SOO) begins to-night. At Origin time, especially, I think of my Uncle Jack who lives in Brisbane.  He and his brother, Roly (dcd), were A-Grade footballers long, long ago in Brisbane.  Jack is my late mother's younger brother and the only one of his generation still alive.  So, Networkers, on my maternal side I have a bit of Rugby League heritage - the love of which was sufficient to fire my uncle into writing not only the history of the Broncos but of Origin as well.

For all of those Mexicans who have moved north of the border into Queensland, Origin is a must read.  Only by reading Jack's account will you get to understand the basis for the hatred of NSW Rugby League and the religiosity which undergirds Queensland's attitude to State of Origin.  Although he might not tell you - but your Miss Eagle will - that Queensland women are the best and loudest and most ferocious barrackers at Origin time.  Go, Queensland women!!!  Only when you get to know all this will you come close to understanding Billy Moore's chant of Queenslander! Queenslander! 

I now live in Ballarat, Victoria.  Victoria has only one NRL Rugby League team, The Storm. And in The Storm there is a substantial amount of Queensland DNA and its playing Origin.

There is a lot of hype and argie-bargie at Origin.  From the Queensland side, there is this about Johnathan Thurston (he of the golden boot!) from the Cowboys who is our champeen goal-kicker.  The story could be something or nothing.  It could be there to instill false hope into the NSW team.  It could be there to make Queensland look as if it is overcoming some great odds to win.  It could be just to give we, the fans, something to talk about to-day.  I don't think we can afford to be without Johnathan Thurston. I know we have The Storm's wonderful Cam Smith (my cap'n, my cap'n) to kick but....

Anyway, Queensland to win to-night and it's "I am woman, hear me roar" as I barrack for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews