Monday 12 December 2011

Dreaming: Barlow as a Tahitian prince, the queen of Otaheite and polyandry



Reports are coming in to-day that Joel Barlow told people he was a Tahitian prince.  Ah, memories.  Nothing quite like them at my age!

I thought back to Peter Yeldham's mini-series "Captain James Cook".  A lot of the story occurred in Tahiti where Cook - with my ancestor John Gore on board, one of a number of his voyages with Cook - went to study the Transit of Venus.

Embedded in my memory is Queen Oberea surrounded by young bucks feeding her.  Polyandry was the way in Otaheite.  I have always said, jokingly, in these days of free sexual choice and talk of polygamy that I relish the idea of polyandry.  Would Joel Barlow have qualified for one of Queen Oberea's young bucks? I don't know. Were there auditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews