Tuesday 2 November 2010

The realities of 2 November 2010: in Australia it's a horse race : in the USA, the Tea-Party election

There are many co-existing realities in our big wide wonderful world.
In Australia, to-day there is one big question - neigh one big issue.
Can the wonderful Bart do it again?
At approximately 3pm AEDST
This is Australia's big day.
It is probably only second to Anzac Day
in the national psyche. 
And here below is the focus of the pre-Cup question -
who will win?


Meanwhile in the United States of America, they are yet to wake up to 2 November.
They have important business afoot - if only they will choose to vote.
The first Tuesday in November for Americans is NOT Melbourne Cup Day.
No, Obama is not up for re-election.
This is the mid-term election -
the day when Senators, Congress Reps, Governors, 
and sundry others get elected to their respective offices.
Just as Australians have a big question about who will win the Cup,
Americans are wondering whether The Tea Party will be a winner.
Some people are cheering for the Tea Partiers.
Others are cowering and peeking through their fingers at it all.
People like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are trying to moderate.
So, Networkers, we want you to know what the TTP issues are:

Thx, Denis for the hattip to the video.


Melbourne Cup humour:
Your guide to the 150th Melbourne Cup (Crikey)
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got the video to work.
    I love it.
    The Americans are said to not "get" irony, but the people behind this video really do, for the Tea Party character is truly awful, but so is the other person - the one who is supposed to represent the voice of reason and sanity.
    Re the Melbourne Cup, I thought I was looking into the eyes of death, watching Bart on the 7:30 Report last night.
    Spooky.
    An awful interview - the technology or Bart's doctors or someone obviously interfered and prevented a real live interview.
    But it was interesting, none-the-less.
    Personally, I despise the hugely wasteful and corrupt industry that he represents.
    To me, all horses in Australia ought be dog-meat. That is my personal opinion.

    I do not expect anyone to agree with me, but if I cannot say it on Melbourne Cup day, when can I?
    It is more a moral position - coming from an anti-gambling stance. Supported by an environmental stance. Supported by an economic rationalist stance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denis, there was an interview with Bart on Channel 7 to-day and he looked a whole lot better than he did last night. Last night, he looked at death's door. To-day, he looked like himself which was a joy to see.

    I empathise with you re horses - they are not indigenous to Australia. But I get carried away with seeing the horses do the rounds before they enter the barrier. I CAN pick winners this way - but too late for betting. To-day on Twitter I went out on a limb and predicted So You Think, Americain, and Once were wild as the three in the winning line-up. This was based purely on seeing jockeys and horses. Knowing nothing of form and previous history. Yet, you can see, I picked two out of three. But Jim Cassidy on Once were wild put up the most valiant effort. He and OWW need a prize each for how they raced to-day. And it would have been wonderful, in the time of a female G-G and a female PM, to see a female trainer take off the Cup.

    As you know I am against animal cruelty and there is cruelty within the racing industry. However, I do get caught up in the whole Melbourne Cup thing once I see the horses.

    Americain, even to my untutored eye, was the classiest horse in the parade - AND IT WON, knotted mane and all. I thought that was so beautiful. The French even ensured that the horse was aestheticallly pleasing!

    What do we do? Who is a Bart Cummings - of Celtic stock, with the Celts love for horse-racing and generosity with the winnings. There is even a Melbourne Cup mass in Melbourne which emphasises this cultural link. I don't bet but I can recognise beautiful horseflesh and the skill and talent that surrounds its development. Ah, perhaps it is the Celt in me coming to the fore?!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews