Saturday 20 November 2010

Numbers of kids in detention on the rise : sanitary pads rationed for women in detention

Networkers, thought you might be interested in some tweets to-day from the Asylum Seekers Resource Centre. I think they are doozies. The Gillard Government promised that kids would not be held it detention - instead the numbers have gone up. And, girls and women, don't you love the access to clean underwear and sanitary pads.  Apparently, not only are we reluctant to provide access to asylum seeks we don't want to give them the basics of hygiene either.  Are Australians running a crumby country or what?  Is that, dear Networkers, who you think you are.  I reckon I'm not.  I want to send the tampons and the pads up post-haste and - because I am an older lady - I reckon there must be some women there who would appreciate a few bundles of Tena as well. 

Do you reckon the women of Australia ought to call Kotex and Tena and other manufacturers to the front line and provide free of charge sanitary protection for all women and girls in detention?

Let me know what you think.  Let me know what you think we can do.

3 comments:

  1. I am not going to rant about just how mad things like this make me. Only someone with the sensibility of a brick would make a rule that says that women have to already be bleeding, thus having already soiled precious clothing, before sanitary products are made available.

    If I had any way to get them through the system my preference would be to get a range of reusable options up to them. Disposables just delay the problem.. as they require someone to continue to supply on a monthly basis. With re-usable options, fabric pads and menstrual cups, as long as they have access to water to wash they can be independent and private if that is their wish.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda, how reasonable you sound - as usual. For folks who aren't familiar with the products Belinda is mentioning, I am placing a link below. I don't believe this sort of stuff was around in my day (smile!).
    http://www.healthychoices.com.au/clothpantyliners/cloth-menstrual-pads.html

    Belinda, I have never ever heard of a menstrual cup but Wikipedia has come to my aid with this description:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup

    Now, Belinda, if I am not spot on with this stuff could you provide some links to increase my knowledge. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Eagle,

    Your research skills have done you well. Just to add the products I have linked to below are the 3 main menstrual cups available in Aus

    http://www.divacup.com/
    http://www.thekeeper.com.au/
    http://www.lunette.com.au/

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews