Saturday 23 October 2010

Ethical Greens? Selling out citizenry in Victoria? Inadequate Opposition? Citizens, look to yourselves.

Green question mark from here

Sarah Hanson-Young is being clever again, according to this report. The ethics of The Greens? Anything at any price, even when the price is a question of ethics and truth?  And the choice at the Victorian elections? A Labor government who sells out and dobs on its own citizens in a most unAustralian way. In fact, it reminds me of a previous financial transaction involving thirty pieces of silver.  What about the Liberal and National parties, the current Opposition, some might ask?  The last time they were in power, they were led by Jeff Kennett and the memory won't go away.

So political purity? Politicians as ethical examples?  One would search hard, even with a well lit lamp,  to find it.  These days - after decades of involvement in the political process of the nation - I stick to issues and work with the community and keep party politics well on the periphery. There are no sure answers working on issues within the community.  Ethics can be an issue - but problems for citizen activism tend to centre around apathy and egotism.  In short, the self-centredness that can erode community cohesion is also at the heart of political chicanery.  Our apathy, our egotism, our ability to get wrapped up only in our own affairs, lets the politicians and the bureaucrats who serve them have a free rein with little check, little balance.  

2 comments:

  1. Why is that not a surprise? It seems the Greens aren't as holier than thou as what they make themselves out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To some extent that is my point - The Greens, perhaps to themselves and to others, have a sacred cause and duty. But even if that is a driving force, are they up to it? Do they become influenced by existing forces within the political sphere just the same as other human beings? I have singled out Sarah once before on this blog and the post gets regular visits. Here I am singling her out again. I think I am, after decades of political involvement, aware of the various types of people who work professionally in politics. I think a bit of me is concerned for and about Sarah - and I want her to be otherwise. She is young, bright, educated, and on her way. Yet I see things coming through as I watch her on television which sadden me. She is young and hasn't been in Parliament long and is part of a new party - not an old party with its culture established over long periods of time. Yet here she is exhibiting the same old, same old traits. She could just as well be a member of the NSW Right or an apparatchik of the Liberal Party organisation.

    Lastly, I caution myself, we are all on a journey of the spirit and of experience. The small amount of Sarah I see on TV surely is not all there is to her. In short, I hope that Sarah proves me wrong.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not take Anonymous comments. Experience shows that comments cluttered with "Anonymous" are boring and people don't know whether "Anonymous" is one person or many. This is not a decision about freedom of speech. It is a decision about boring or unwillingness to be known by even a pseudonym.

Total Pageviews